Closing Date: Jan 8, 2021
Riverdale Immigrant Women’s Centre (RIWC) is seeking a creative, dynamic VAW Coordinator who uses a community development, feminist and anti-oppression approach to counselling. The VAW Coordinator will supervise, collect and maintain program records and deliverables and participate in innovative program development. Referrals, advocacy, outreach and strategic community partnership development are integral program components. At the policy and community level, the VAW Coordinator will encourage and support women to engage in broader social change activities that address women’s safety, women’s equality and equity issues.
Over and above individual, crisis, and group counselling, the VAW Coordinator/Counsellor will support the women in their journey to choose a life free from violence using a broad holistic approach that integrates self-development and self-care, health and well-being as well as supporting their economic empowerment.
For women who are looking to achieve economic self-sufficiency, the VAW Counselor/Counsellor will develop a collaborative plan of action for skill building, life skills support, computer training and job placements.
- B.S.W. with 3 years of experience or M.S.W. with 2 years of experience in VAW counselling and child development issues.
- Registered Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW).
- Excellent case management and assessment skills to be able to develop collaborative plans of change and action.
- Knowledge of barriers facing marginalized women: immigrant/refugee women, racialized populations, anti-poverty and social justice issues.
- Knowledge of sustainable livelihood framework, health, employment, environmental/gardening/healthy cooking, yoga, meditation, etc.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise staff, volunteers and placement students and knowledge of H/R, program development and evaluation tools.
- Organized with ability to keep detailed records, write reports and deliver stats in a timely manner.
- Excellent social media, presentation and promotional and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Knowledge of major South Asian languages an asset.
- Interest in Community Arts an asset.
Please send a customized cover-letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate in your cover letter where you found the job posting.
We thank you for your interest in the position. Only those shortlisted for a Zoom interview will be contacted.
Important Note: The RIWC office remains closed due to COVID 19. As such, this position will involve working from home with occasional visits to the office until further notice.